A conundrum is something that is puzzling or confusing.
Here are six Conundrums of Socialism in the United States of America:
1. The claim is made that America is capitalist and greedy – yet half of the population is subsidized or supported by the government.
2. Though half of the population is subsidized – they consider themselves to be victims.
3. Those who view themselves as victims – still continue to reelect their representatives to the government.
4. Their representatives who run the government – continue to allow the poor to keep getting poorer.
5. Those poor who keep getting poorer – have things that people in other countries only dream about.
6. Those who have things that people in other countries only dream about – want America to be more like those other countries.
While simplified, this adroitly sums up the political realities in the USA in the second decade of the 21st Century. Three syntheses below of critical social areas speak volumes about the direction of our current government and cultural environment:
1. We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but we are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics. I would urge those who wish to attempt to countermand this observation to thoroughly listen and comprehend the commentary provided in this opinion piece:
2. We constantly hear about how Social Security is going to run out of money. How come we never hear about welfare or the funding sources for EBT cards, formerly food stamps, running out of money? What’s interesting is the first group “worked for” and “paid into” their benefit, but the second has not.
I would challenge those who actively seek to justify this effort at fear mongering to recognize that Social Security was established to provide aid and support from generation to generation. It was understood that each succeeding generation would help the prior by continuing to pay into Social Security for the express purpose of maintaining the stability of the program. It is also understood that bureaucrats and politicians would respect those who elected them and not touch or raid Social Security.
Yet there is a reality that money is constantly being shifted from Social Security to pay for pet projects and various programs that have no value or benefit to the entire society. Rather, these programs and efforts are solely to help clearly defined voting blocs.
3. Currently, an aggressive effort is underway to cut benefits for our veterans. No pay raises have been provided for our active duty military since 2009. At that time military pay was lagging public sector pay by approximately 4%. Additionally, destructive pursuits are underway to cut our military to a level lower than before WWII. This action is claimed acceptable because “the army will be agile.” Yet no effort is present to confirm that a significantly reduced fighting force will be capable of decisively winning a full scale war. Thus, we – through the elected so-called representatives – have ensured we are no longer completely safe from foreign invasion.
Great job American voters! If you wish to hold accountable those who have brought us to this point, roust yourself from your chair, head to the bathroom, turn on the light and look in the mirror. Pogo continues to get it right: “We have met the enemy and it is us.”